How do BIM/ digital technologies innovate investment projects and drive project management and design engineering services to the next level of future industry?
First CAD, now BIM have fundamentally changed and reinvented the design and construction processes. The fast moving hardware business and the development of new software and technologies are constantly changing our professions and the environment in which we operate and will only accelerate to do so. The success of organizations in all sectors is to big extend related to the ability to adapt to the new conditions and the digitalization of their processes. Digital technology leadership that is well informed as well as mature is more and more in demand just as experience in construction and design and high-quality construction product.
We foresee a future in which digital technologies, innovative construction methodologies and experienced and insightful project management go hand in hand. Experience in design/ construction/ project management has and always will be one of the major success factors when it comes to quality construction outcome. The experience and knowledge is further empowered by the data gathered from the software tools. Costly construction decisions are becoming even better informed with the opportunity to digitally verify design/ construction options.
Structural and architectural design are heavily influenced by the software products that are out there with constant upgrades and new functionalities coming every other day. The global tendency of linking all the data into BIM models, which become the single source of truth is gradually improving the design quality. With perfectly calculated and matching designs from all disciplines a lot of issues on site are being resolved early on in the design stage. The power of the digital construction simulation is not ending in the design though. Construction in itself has multiple variables and constantly changing external parameters. When we are able to simulate construction scenarios in a safe digital environment, we are less likely to take false decisions later during the actual construction. The philosophy of build it twice – once digitally, and second time in the real life is increasing the final construction quality outcome with reduced cost, risks and mistakes.
IPS has 25+ years of proven track record when it comes to the project management of large investments. Some of the most significant industrial facilities in Europe have been designed and managed by the IPS team. Meticulous investment project management is a key factor for the successful outcome of conventional construction, but even more so in the world of construction supplemented by digital tools. The reason for this is that usually the private sector can afford to move quicker in comparison to government agencies and implement new processes in a lot easier manner. Investment project managers in the private sector have the ability to adhere to the best technological advancements and methodologies and set the new de facto industry standards. Legislation requires longer periods and testing ground for the suggested changes. In the best-case scenario legislation become proven practices that are already tested and approved by the wider community.
In order to be successful – the project teams that introduce innovation need support from the top-down and the incentive is the raise of the final quality of the construction product. Client-side project managers are in the position to define the project scope, requirements and goals for all the involved stakeholders. They can also appreciate the effects and efforts related to the introduction of new workflows. Investment project managers verify that all the digital and non-digital methodologies related to the project align with the client’s objectives. Individual projects are test incubators for new technologies that are implemented gradually. Project teams are driven and united by the digital construction goals that are set and gathered with the initiative and support of the client-side project management team.
The software industry is developing with a lot more rapid rate than any other industry, therefore we see new tools coming to the market nearly every day. With the emerging technologies, new roles and processes are constantly needed. Of course, all of this requires rational change management, investment in training and resources. Adapting to the new conditions is not necessarily easy, but on the other hand it is definitely a rewarding journey. On one hand to be up-to-date with every digital industry advancement in itself is a full-time standalone effort and business activity. On the other hand, the ability to streamline processes, save resources, increase quality and reduce risk through digital construction is definitely worth the inconveniences we may encounter. Bimmetry is successfully supporting companies when it comes to BIM adoption, process automation and innovation. Our team members have over a decade experience in BIM and digital technologies innovating the Architecture/ Engineering and Construction industry, which in this field is nearly as far as it goes back. Our team is testing the latest available technologies, researching the best options and developing intermediate tools that link business, design and construction processes and data.
Digital Project Management
Being well aware of the challenges and not overly excited of the innovation for the sake of innovation, Bimmetry and IPS SEE have joined forces to make the most of the new workflows and tools and their implementation on projects in the most sensible and structured way. In our joint-work we are exploring new technologies on project basis that are implemented without compromising on legal matters, quality, efficiency or else.
In the face of a client-side project management consultant IPS has the most appropriate role when it comes to setting client requirements and definition of the project scope. The Project experience IPS has – comes as a guarantee that the highest standard of Project management practices are followed. And in the same time Bimmetry is entirely concentrated on the digital design solutions and consults and supports IPS to define the Client-side requirements and Digital Project scope, which have to be aligned with all the other goals of the project. This ensures that the BIM requirements and new technology adoption is driven from the top down, in-line with the best interests of the client and the project and ensures that all the other stakeholders are on-board with the new demands.
We believe that working in a single team helps us provide the best offering and outstanding results in terms of project output. The fact that Bimmetry and IPS are two separate organisations with completely different, but highly complimentary core business activities also comes as an advantage. We can guarantee with proven track record that we provide expert consultancy services in the two fields, which are Project management and BIM Management. A lot of organizations often claim to provide BIM or PM consultancy, but the reality is that it is merely a lip service to the core business activity. This is natural as the teams that are required for the two activities need different internal structure, infrastructure and expertise to be able to provide the needed services.
Follow us on this exciting journey! If you are interested to know more about our collaboration, do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
IPS in brief:
- IPS stands for Industrial Projects Services; Group-IPS has been started in Belgium in 1992 as a Project Management company;
- Today, after 28 years of successful development, IPS is an EPCM (Engineering, Procurement, Construction Management) service provider for large scale industrial, commercial and real estate investment projects;
- IPS Bulgaria is a daughter company of Group-IPS. It was launched in March 2004;
- IPS Industrial Projects Services Romania has been started as a part of Group-IPS in August 2012 and it is under IPS Bulgaria management;
- Both of the above referred to as IPS South East Europe;
- IPS can be very efficient for international investors starting from company set up, plot pre-selection procedures, permitting road-map, etc.
- Project Management is the core business. It includes:
- Feasibility study:
- Plot Due diligence;
- Technical support for Purchase Contract
- Project Preparation:
- Investment analysis – project definition, layout engineering, concept design with technical specifications, overall time schedule and preliminary target budget elaboration;
- Permitting assistance – Permitting road-map to include each separate step with relevant timing and associated cost. In most cases IPS substitute investors in their daily communication with Authorities related to project permitting and realization;
- Procurement assistance from selection of procurement method, identification of potential contractors, edition of tender documentation, call for bid, technical and commercial negotiations until order placement;
- Project Realization:
- Site management on Owner’s side;
- Daily project coordination, setting up of priorities;
- Management of quality, budget and timing;
- Claim and Change management;
- Taking-over procedures and Commissioning;
- Health and Safety management.
- In addition, upon investor’s demand IPS is able to perform more extended services to cover the complete project cycle like:
- Development of Design Engineering package for the specific investment plans;
- Engineering of specialized foundations in challenging soil conditions;
- Alternatively – adaptation and verification of existing engineering design after local norms;
- High-tech equipment delivery and installation coordination;
- Health and Safety Management.
- Feasibility study:
- All these performed with IPS in-house engineers within our organization;
- Today IPS South East Europe has almost 15 years of successful experience in managing large industrial, commercial and public developments in South East Europe. We have been engaged with a number of big investments in more than 15 different countries, such as:
- United Kingdom;
Bimmetry in brief:
Bimmetry is a young and innovative company with a multidisciplinary team of architects, engineers, software developers and MEP designers that collaborate on variety of projects – commercial, residential, healthcare, infrastructure and mixed-use. We work for clients both in Australia and Europe. The services we offer vary according to the client’s organization; we provide digital technology expertise in the various stages of the project life-cycle:
- Architectural Documentation automation and support;
- BIM Modelling;
- Content Family Creation;
- BIM templates set-up;
- Training and technology support;
- Clash Detection;
- Scan to BIM (modelling of point clouds to BIM models);
- Custom BIM software tools development and scripting (Dynamo, Revit API, Marionette, Vectorworks API);
- BIM Project Management (BIM project scope definition, BIM execution planning, BIM project lead, BIM Coordination, etc.);
- 3D scanning during construction;
- Pointcloud to BIM models overlays and progress monitoring;
- 4D and 5D sequencing;
- Shop Drawings Automation;
- As-built documentation and BIM modelling;
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Staging;
- FM and Operation:
- FM process mapping and software tools requirements elaboration;
- Facility management software integration with BIM models;
- FM tools data preparation and integration;
- VR and AR integration.